Thursday, February 3, 2011

Birthday stuff

So with all the ice and being stuck in the house, I decided to work on some more of Sophia's birthday decorations. I just finished her birthday banner yesterday. It was pretty simple to make. I saw some examples on etsy.com but they were about $15, so I decided to make my own. I bought 2 packs of scrapbook paper from the dollar spot at target, a pack of letters from the dollar store, and used some string/rafia stuff I found at the house.

Total cost for a super cute banner- $3.50



I am going to make Sophia a big cupcake cake for her smash cake at her birthday party. I finally bought the pan and made a pratice cake the other day. I still need to tweak the baking times because the top part of the cupcake finished baking before the bottom half did leaving me with a semi-overdone cake. I think I need to put batter in the bottom part and bake for a few minutes first then add the top half. I forsee a few more cakes being made in my future. I think I'll probably give them away, I don't need all that cake in my house :) Anyway, here was the final result. I'm debating whether or not I should frost the bottom half. The top half was hard enough to do and I think if I do the bottom half it might just look sloppy. Anyone have any tips on how to frost the cake a little better?


I think next on my agenda is photo banner kind if like this but I'll use our theme instead of owls. Maybe I'll start that today since we are stuck inside yet again. ::sigh:: I'm ready for this ice to melt so we can get out!! Hopefully soon!

5 comments:

  1. The happy birthday banner looks great. That photo banner is a great idea. Marshall is only 3 months old but I'm already looking around for ideas for his 1st birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I started looking for ideas when Sophia turned 6 months old. You can never start to early in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally guilty of it too - Julianna is 8 mos and I pretty much have it all planned out already LOL! My husband thinks I am crazy.

    As for the icing... I am not an expert; actually I don't bake at all! But my mother in law bakes a ton of things and is an expert - she has pastry decorating bags that she uses (the kind with the interchangable tips for different designs)- Not sure what they cost- but I know the craft stores have them... and you can decorate the cupcake real pretty! :)
    Here is an example of what I'm talking about in case my rather lame description means nothing to you:
    http://bakerstools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BAGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Skye, yeah I've heard of those bags with the tips. I actually have some but I didn't think the tips were big enough with a cake that big. I guess I could give it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I was at AC Moore (craft store) this weekend and saw a ton of different cake decorators - they were so cool I wanted to buy some and I don't even bake! haha!

    ReplyDelete